彩神app网址登陆Over 10 civilians injured in Houthi attacks on gov't
ADEN, Yemen, Dec. 20 (Xinhua) -- More than 10 civilians, including children, were injured in Houthi rebels' attacks on government-controlled areas in Yemen's Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Thursday, a military official told Xinhua.
The Houthi fighters continued to launch sporadic attacks against areas held by the government forces in Hodeidah, particularly in Durayhmi and Hays areas, the official said on condition of anonymity.
Well-trained snipers belonging to the group frequently target the government soldiers despite the cease-fire which went into effect on Monday, he added.
Mamun Mahjami, official spokesman of the pro-government Giants Brigades, told Xinhua by phone that the government forces have been handling "breaches of the rebels with patience."
Meanwhile, the Houthi-affiliated Masirah television network reported that warplanes of the Saudi-led Arab coalition repeatedly hovered over some areas in Hodeidah.
The cease-fire deal signed between the two warring rivals last week in Sweden demands full withdrawal of all armed groups from Hodeidah and its strategic seaports.
According to the deal, the UN will manage the port and supervise the re-deployment of neutral forces there to prevent military escalation, while local forces will help maintain law and order in the city.
Local residents said tense calm was held in the neighborhoods of Hodeidah despite the heavy deployment of fighters of the two warring sides inside and around the city.
Hodeidah is the most important point of entry for food and basic supplies to Yemen's northern provinces controlled by the Houthis, including the capital Sanaa.
The Saudi-led Arab coalition intervened in Yemen's conflict in March 2015 to roll back the Iran-allied Shiite Houthi rebels, who forced the internationally-backed Yemeni government into exile.